Changes to Health Spending Account for 2017/2018

Many of you have already received the memo from UBC HR explaning the changes to your Health Spending Account.

You can read the memo here.


From UBC HR's Website:

The M&P Health Spending Account (HSA) benefit provides Management & Professional Staff who are enrolled in the Extended Health Plan with an annual credit that can be used to reimburse medical and dental expenses over and above what may have been paid by UBC’s Extended Health and Dental plans, after coordinating with a spouse’s plan (if applicable).


YearAnnual Credit
Jan. 1 – Dec. 31, 2017$325*

plus any unused amounts carried over from 2016

Jan. 1 – Dec. 31, 2018$325

plus any unused amounts carried over from 2017

Jan. 1 – Dec. 31, 2019$200

plus any unused amounts carried over from 2018

2020 onward$200

plus any unused amounts carried over from the previous year

*For 2017, the annual credit increases from $125 to $325.  This change was made retroactively to Jan. 1, 2017 in the Sun Life system.

You can verify your credit amount by logging in to or by calling Sun Life at 1-800-361-6212.

What happens if I’ve used up the $125 annual credit for 2017?

If you’ve used up your $125 credit for 2017, any previously submitted HSA claim(s) that exceed this amount will be automatically reprocessed by Sun Life up to the new $325 credit.  Sun Life will complete this in the next few weeks and no further action is required by you.

How do I submit HSA claims?

You can submit an HSA claim by paper claim form, or online.

If you submit paper claims (Sun Life Extended Health + HSA claim form or Sun Life Dental + HSA claim form) go to Section 3 of the Extended Health claim form or Section 5 of the Dental claim form and check the box that applies to your situation:

  • You want us (Sun Life) to assess the claim under your Extended Health benefit first and then assess any unpaid balance under your HSA.
  • You want us (Sun Life) to assess this claim under your HSA only.

If you submit online, you can submit a HSA claim at the same time you submit an Extended Health e-claim or submit an HSA e-claim only at or use Sun Life’s mobile app.

If you are covered under another plan (such as a spouse’s group plan with their employer), be sure to coordinate with that plan first before submitting any HSA claims.

For More Information

For more information about the Health Spending Account, please visit our Health Spending Account page.

If you have any questions, please contact  UBC HR Benefit's Specialist Stephanie Mah at 604-822-6823 or