Frequently Asked Questions - Advocacy

We can support you through a variety of advocacy issues. We frequently assist members with issues such as leaves, performance reviews, and terminations without cause.

Yes, all information discussed with an AAPS Representative is treated in a confidential manner, except in very rare circumstances where AAPS is legally forced to hand over material as mandated by an arbitration or court process (e.g. a criminal investigation).

Yes, membership of AAPS is a condition of employment for new M&P employees as per Section 5.0 of the Framework Agreement between the University and the Association.

Yes, you can have representation for a disciplinary meeting as articulated in Article 8 of the ACTE. If you are notified of a disciplinary or investigatory meeting either before the scheduled meeting or at the commencement of the meeting, you can request for an AAPS Representative to be present.

Yes, you can have representation present for an accommodation meeting when possible accommodations are being discussed and explored.

No, you do not have a right to representation when you are meeting with your supervisor to discuss performance concerns or during a performance review. However, we would be happy to meet with you to offer strategic advice based on feedback arising from a performance review.

No, you do not have a right to representation during a termination without cause meeting. AAPS members are encouraged to contact AAPS following the meeting to meet with a representative in a follow-up session.

An AAPS Representative can benefit you by providing:

  • Assistance in obtaining the facts;
  • A better understanding of the situation, process, and related possible consequences;
  • A calm, respectful sounding board; and
  • Counsel and support.

Yes, the standard work week for full time M&P employees is 35 hours per week: i.e., 5 days a week for a 7 hour work day which does not include lunch.

Yes, as professional employees, M&P staff typically work beyond the standard work week.

If you are working additional hours due to project or cyclical work, you are encouraged to have a conversation with your supervising manager about the additional hours of work, what his/her expectations are, and how the contribution would be recognized if you are expected to work the excess time either periodically or on an ongoing basis. Article 10.4 provides examples on how your contribution can be recognized and states, “The University recognizes that the contributions of M&P staff may often take the form of hours worked outside the standard work week. This contribution is recognized in the greater flexibility in working conditions and the accelerated pace of earning vacation time afforded to M&P staff relative to other staff groups.” As well, if you receive paid leave at Christmas (Article 12.9), note that this benefit provided to you is meant to offset significant amounts of hours of work over and above the usual job requirements that take place in the year.

If you and your manager are unable to reach a reasonable compromise or you wish to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact the AAPS office via email or by phone at 2-9025.

No, jobs are classified in their respective job families by the employer.

Yes, when substantial changes occur in jobs over time and/or through reorganization of duties within a department, it is appropriate to rewrite the job description and submit these to HR for reclassification. Article 5.4.5 in the collective agreement requires that either the supervisor or the incumbent may request the reclassification and these will normally be completed within 6 months. Employees not satisfied with the results of the reclassification may appeal to the Director of Total Compensation who will render a decision within 3 months. Should the employee request an appeal, AAPS strongly urges the member to contact the AAPS office and obtain Advocacy assistance during that process.

Yes, probationary periods may be extended for up to six months through mutual agreement before the end of the initial 12 months. The employee may consult with AAPS prior to agreeing to the extension but must do so within 5 working days of being notified of the intent to extend the probationary period.

Yes, at the completion of the probationary period, and with a satisfactory performance review, you would be eligible for a salary increase. The guideline is 4% though any increase is at the discretion of the employer.

Provided there is satisfactory performance, there will be 4 increments from the salary at which the employee was hired to the midpoint by their 4th anniversary date.

Yes, salary increases beyond the midpoint will occur on the basis of performance based on a merit pay model. Merit pay is determined annually by the University and implementation dates may vary from department to department depending on the departmental practice.

When applying for other M&P roles, as an internal M&P candidate, depending on the circumstance, employees may be in a position to negotiate the probationary period and/or the salary.                                                                                                                                                                               

As per Article 5.1.3, M&P staff who are entering new roles are considered probationary employees for up the 12 months. Provided that you passed your initial probationary period, you may be able to negotiate a reduced or waived period with the agreement of the receiving manager.

The salary grids in the Agreement are guidelines to salaries, and do not limit your individual ability to negotiate your own salary within the minimum and maximum range of the respective salary range.

No, there is no identified leave for medical and/or dental appointments. M&P staff are expected to coordinate appointments that do not adversely affect business operations and should discuss with their manager or supervisor flexible working arrangements should it be required.

Yes, an employee who has dependent children, spouse, common-law spouse, same sex partner, and/or parents may use in any calendar year up to a maximum of 5 days of his/her sick leave.

Yes, vacation requests are subject to managerial approval but should not be unreasonably withheld. In addition, if your vacation request is consistently denied the Employer is obligated to allow you to carry that vacation over to the following year.

As per Article 12.3.1, the University may request medical documentation if you are, or will be, absent for more than five days.

Yes, you shall be granted leave with pay if you are summoned for jury duty or are required to serve jury duty, or are summoned as a witness.

An employee may terminate his/her employment by providing one month’s written notice of resignation. An employee who provides less than one month’s notice will incur a ‘penalty’ in that the vacation entitlement for the current year will be in accordance with the Employment Standards Act, less any actual vacation taken, as opposed to what is entitled as per the agreement.